Thankfully major car accidents are rare and because of this the number of claims from them is relatively low. Many drivers however will have to make a smaller claim at some stage as a result of a minor accident and one of the most common reasons for this is damage to their windscreen.
Windscreen damage usually occurs in the form of a chip or crack. Chips or cracks are most frequently caused by objects, such as gravel or pebbles that are thrown up by the tyres of another car, striking the windscreen. Other reasons for windscreen damage include: debris falling off construction lorries, stress cracks due to poor manufacturing or installation, hailstones, rapid changes in temperature and accidents. This can be a frustrating and frightening experience which can cause unexpected expense.
Windscreen cover generally covers damage to the car windscreen (including the incidents above). Importantly, it also covers damage to other glass in the car including the sunroof but excluding mirrors and lights.
With Allianz Direct, Windscreen Cover is an optional extra available with both Third Party Fire & Theft and Fully Comprehensive insurance. If you use our Approved Windscreen Repairers “Autoglass” or “National Windscreens” or “Allglass” or “Mr Windscreen”, there is no limit applied to the cost of the repairs or replacement. We will also cover any scratching of the bodywork directly resulting from breakage of glass.
If you do not use one of our Approved Windscreen Repairers, the amount we will pay for glass repair or replacement is limited to £200 in total. Where the windscreen is replaced, an excess* of £50 will apply to this limit. Making a claim against your windscreen cover will not impact your No Claim Bonus.
Prevention is better than Cure
Nobody wants to suffer damage to their windscreen, regardless of whether or not they are covered by their policy. Luckily, there are a number of steps you can take to minimise the chance of your windscreen cracking.
- Drive a safe distance behind other vehicles– By keeping a safe distance behind other vehicles you can avoid flying gravel or pebbles from the road surface, or falling debris from the back of trucks.
- Never use boiling water to de-ice – This causes a rapid change in temperature that can lead to cracks. Use a de-icer and scraper instead.
- Keep your car sheltered – This will help prevent damage from hail or direct sunlight.
- Don’t blast the AC at a max level – Like using boiling water, this can lead to extremes in temperature which can in turn cause your windscreen to crack.
- Drive carefully – By exercising caution on the road you will avoid accidents keeping both you and your windscreen safe from harm.
Need to Know More?
If you would like to know more about Windscreen Cover give us a call on 028 90 828 828 and one of our customer service representatives will be delighted to help.
* A policy excess is the first amount of any loss or damage to your vehicle that you are responsible for paying in the event of making a claim. This amount is deducted from the total claim settlement figure.
Standard acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply.
Information correct as of 13/04/2016. Calls may be recorded.